I wish I could say that someone who didn't know about her egg white allergy gave it to her, but I can't. It was me. I broke it apart and started feeding her pieces of it when she reached for it. It just didn't occur to me that they are made with an egg batter until she was chewing on her last bite. I didn't freak out at the time - truth be told, I've been a little skeptical about this so-called "allergy" ever since we got the diagnosis several weeks ago. A couple times she had broken out with some mosquito-bite-like marks on her face but we couldn't connect it to a specific time that she had consumed egg whites. So while my stomach did drop when I realized what I'd done, part of me shrugged and said "well, let's see what happens!"
Friday morning she woke up with a mosquito bite mark under her left eye. It was a red and shiny pock mark and didn't seem to bother her. This morning she woke up with what looks like a black eye - the mark is darker and it's made her eye swollen. In addition, she has two more bumps on the right side of her face.
They're still not bothering her - she hasn't been itching or touching them at all. If they're anything like the previous ones she's gotten, they should be gone by tomorrow. I'm just glad this is the only reaction she seems to get from egg whites and I hope she grows out of the allergy altogether soon. Apparently this is usually temporary and a pretty common malady in young tikes.
This incident has certainly served to confirm her allergy and has reminded me to be really careful what she is fed!